XM Radio Bootcamp 3

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

the 70's

I've never listened that much to any of the decades channels. They largely play pop hits and I'm just not into that. Today I did listen to the 70's for two to three hours. Just after mid-night I caught some of a Chicago special that was well done. Also there were a few suprises that I didn't expect, like Bob Dylan, Patti Smith and Lou Reed. The audio montages of 70's sounds and the theme to WKRP in Cincinnati help to distinguish this channel.

Overall it is a good background channel, but not good enough to make it a preset. There was a rich diversity of music in the 1970's - glam rock, heavy metal, punk, disco, singer/songwriter, progressive (to name a few) - it's a shame that so little of it is played on the 70's channel.


Heard on the 70's:
"Take Me Home", Cher; "Deja Vu", Dionne Warwick; "Gotta Serve Somebody", Bob Dylan; "You've Got A Friend", James Taylor; "Peace Train", Cat Stevens; "Thank God I'm A Country Boy", John Denver; "Low Rider", War; "Shining Star", Earth Wind & Fire; "I'd Love You to Want Me", Lobo; "Never Been Spain", Three Dog Night; "Anticipation", Carly Simon; "Because the Night", Patti Smith; "Walk on the Wild Side", Lou Reed.

Random web site: SuperSeventies.com

Tomorrow: the 80's