XM Radio Bootcamp 3

Monday, September 13, 2004

the 40's

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.", Louis Armstrong.

This is XM's 1940's decade channel and I expected some serious swing music however I was diapponted. Maybe I just caught a bad hour or so, but very little of what I heard really swung. It was mostly melancoly big band music with uninspired singers - too white toast and milk. The 40's was very bland and boring this afternoon. Maybe I will use it as a falling-asleep channel, but I doubt it. Definately not a preset.

On the plus side, the 40's does a lot to set the mood of the 1940's. The Savoy Express railroad channel theme is catchy and the time-period news pieces are a really nice touch. This past summer's weekend long D-Day broadcast was well done. However ultimatelty it's the music that matters and I find it lacking based on my listeninmg today.

the 40's on 4, XM 4

Heard on the 40's:
"Play a Simple Melody", Bing and Gary Crosby; "I Cover the Water", Harry James; "Travelin' Light", Whiteman/Holiday; "Bei Mir Bist Du", Andrews Sisters; "Beg Your Pardon", Francis Craig; "Woodman, Spare That Tree", Phil Harris; "Do Nothin' Til You Hear from Me", Woody Herman; "Night Must Fall", Xavier Cugat; "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree", Glenn Miller; "The Gypsy", Sammy Kaye; "Merry-Go-Round Broke Down", Russ Morgan; "You Can't Be True", K Griffin/ J Wayne; "Tangerine", Jimmy Dorsey; "My Baby Just Cares for Me", Mel Torme; 9/13/1940 News; "I'll Never Smile Again", T Dorsey/Sinatra; "Six Flats Unfurn", Benny Goodman; "Love Letters", Dick Haymes; "I Cried for You", Glen Gray.

Time spent listening: 1 to 2 hours, afternoon

Tomorrow: the 50's