XM Radio Bootcamp 3

Thursday, September 23, 2004

U-Pop

Despite my earlier entries, I don't hate all pop music. I don't like pop channels that play pop songs that all sound the same, such as top 20 on 20, Kiss and Nashville. Impossible you say? "All pop music sounds the same!" you retort. Well, check out U-Pop.

This evening while listening to a Global Hits show on U-Pop, I heard music as diverse as R.E.M., Franz Ferdinand, and the Libertines. Not to mention an acoustic song by Damien Rice. It was all handled nicely by the DJ. My only minor problem with the show is that the DJ didn't state where any of the songs was particularly popular. Give U-Pop a chance and you may be pleasantly surprised.

U-Pop, Euro & global hits, XM 29
A Worldspace channel carried by XM.

My previous experience with channel: I used to listen every weekend to a weekly top 20-like show that I've somehow gotten away from recently. I've gotta start listening again.

Heard on U-Pop:
"The Joker", Fatboy Slim/Boot; "Take Me Out", Franz Ferdinand; "Dragostea Din Te", O-Zone; "Spin the Wheel", Bellefire; "Push Up", Freestylers; "Melt", Melanie C.; "Hey Papi", Alex Cartana; "Crickets Sing", Emma Bunton; "Girls", The Prodigy; "Leaving New York", R.E.M.; "Can't Stand Me", The Libertines; "In the Shadows", Rasmus; Cannonball Live, Damien Rice at XM; "Good Times Gonna Come", Aqualung; "No Ordinary Morning", Chicane; "Can You Feel It", V.

Time spent listening: about an hour, evening

Related web page: U-Pop at Worldspace

Tomorrow: Squizz, hard alternative, XM 48