XM Radio Bootcamp 3

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

the 60's

I started listening at 4:00 pm because I wanted to listen to Terry "Motormouth" Young. In the early 1980's he was a DJ in Philadelphia at the old WCAU (98.1 FM). The station at the time had a "hot hits" format (or such) and played the top 20 pop songs over and over (and over) again. I didn't listen to him a lot back then, but he had an entertaining show and I would check in a few times a week to see what was popular. His voice sounds a little deeper now, but his style is still the same.

Like the other decades channels, the 60's has some real good songs mixed in with the fluff, also known as boring pop hits. Like the 50's channel, the 60's is a nice break for me. I may listen in the future when I want to listen to something different for a change. Motormouth repeatedly talked over the music, which bothers me. Yes, I know it's part of setting the mood for the 1960's, but it still bugged me.

the 60's on 6, XM 6

Heard on the 60's:
"Let's Lock the Lock", Jay & the Americans; "Good Vibrations", Beach Boys; "Sweet Talkin Guy", Chiffons; "A Must to Avoid", Herman's Hermits; "Bossa Nova Baby", Elvis Presley; "Bad Moon Rising", Credence Clearwater Revival; "Not Me", Orlons; "You've Made Me So Very Happy", Blood Sweat & Tears; "Eli's Coming", Three Dog Night; "Hang'em High", Booker T & the MGs; News Reel 9/17/62; "You Keep Me Hanging On", Vanilla Fudge; "Baby I Love You", Ronettes; "She's Not There", the Zombies; "Walk on By", Dionne Warwick; "Take Good Care of My Baby", Bobby Vee; "Just Like Romeo and Juliet", the Reflections; "I Go to Pieces", Peter & Gordon; "Mr. Tambourine Man", the Byrds; Top 6 9/19/64; "The House of the Rising Sun", the Animals; "A Hard Days Night", the Beatles.

Time spent listening: 1 to 2 hours, afternoon and evening

Tomorrow: Soul Street, classic soul