XM Radio Bootcamp 3

Friday, September 17, 2004

XM Cafe

Several years ago when I first read the channel name 'XM Cafe' I thought to myself that XM is copying the World Cafe. And I was right. A little background: David Dye started World Cafe at the University of Pennsylvania's college radio station (WXPN) in 1991. It's currently syndicated by Public Radio International (and is available on that other satellite radio service).

XM Cafe is a good background channel. The music is soft and interesting but doesn't put me to sleep. While I was listening this afternoon, I stumbled on Artist Confidential, Bonnie Raitt at XM. I missed this show Sunday night because I was watching the NFL. The Bonnie Raitt show was mostly an interview with her without much of her playing music. She only played two songs in the first 40 minutes of the show. Although she was a good interview, I was expecting more music.

XM Cafe, XM 45
My previous experience with channel: listen to often, it's a preset

Heard on XM Cafe:
"Days Like This", Van Morrison; "Boom, Like That", Mark Knopfler; "They're On to Me", Ari Hest; "Mr. Jones", Counting Crows; Artist Confidential, Bonnie Raitt at XM (an hour long); "I Did"; Louque; "Sleeping Satellite", Tasmin Archer; "Mama's Trippin'", Ben Harper; "At It Again", Pat McGee Band; "Stumble and Fall", Blues Traveler; "Ok", Ani Difranco; "What A Good Boy", Barenaked Ladies; "Lost in Space", Glenn Tilbrook; "Questionably Red", John Price; "I Want It Back", Shawn Colvin; "I Got the News", Steely Dan.

Time spent listening: about 2 hours

Related web sites: WXPN, World Cafe

Tomorrow: 20 on 20, top 20 hits