XM Radio Bootcamp 3

Monday, October 04, 2004

Hear Music

This is the very first day for this channel, so I wasn't sure what to expect. All I knew about Hear Music was that it's from Starbucks (yes, the coffee company). I started listening shortly after midnight and I'm impressed with it. By noon, Hear Music had earned itself a preset on my SkyFi. It has a lot of potential.

Hear Music plays a mellow mix of rock, jazz, rhythem & blues and soul. I like that it plays blocks of the varoius styles of music and even has song sets chosen by artists. Today I heard songs selected by Elvis Costello and Tony Bennet, to name but a few.

On the downside, Hear Music needs more variety. In one ninty minute stretch today, I heard four Elvis Costello songs. Ray Charles gets a lot of air play too. And I must have heard R.E.M.'s new song "Leaving New York" at least three times. I like all of these artists but if I'm going to listen to Hear Music regularly then the playlist must be deeper than this.

Hear Music, the Voice of Music at Starbucks, XM 75
My previous experience with channel: today's its first day! I've already made it a preset.

Heard on Hear Music:
"Just One More", George Jones; "Solitude", Duke Ellington; "How Insensitive", Frank Sinatra; "Here We Go Again", Charles/Jones; "You Make It Look", Flatlanders; "I've Been Loving You", Otis Redding; "Get Yourself Another", Sam Cooke; "Front Line", Stevie Wonder; "Who Discovered America", Ozomatli; "Crazy", Javier; "Desire", Talk Talk; "Unchained Melody", Willie Nelson; "If I Laugh", Cat Stevens; "Hello Stranger", Queen Latifah; "Over the Rainbow", Charles/Mathis; "Jigsaw", Amelia; "Tony & Maria", Los Lobos; "Part of the Proc", Moorcheeba; "Metal Firecracker", Lucinda Williams; "Leaving New York", R.E.M.

Time spent listening: 3 to 4 hours.

Tomorrow: Bluesville, blues, XM 74